The stock market, housing market, and other economic bubbles appear to be on the verge of popping. In addition, federal, state, and local governments are either deep in debt or completely insolvent (bankrupt). They’re borrowing money that cannot be fully repaid even with massive tax increases.
Throw in an uncertain economy, rising healthcare costs, and growing Internet competition for even the smallest niches, and now may be the perfect time to sell your Internet company, retire, or even start over by building a new business after salting away your gains from your current company.
Related Article – 3 Things You Must Do To Sell An Internet Business Quickly
If you want to sell your Internet business, where do you find potential buyers?
- Your competition may be looking to become larger by acquiring your online company.
- Many downsized white collar service workers with tech skills are hunting for Internet businesses to buy using their 401k and IRA funds.
- Internet business brokers can help you find a qualified purchaser.
- You can do your own marketing and advertising online and offline to sell your company.
Related Article: Sell An Internet Business – 5 Expensive Mistakes To Avoid
How do you close the deal?
Like brick-and-mortar companies, there are many ways to structure the sale of an ecommerce company. Issues to discuss with your Internet lawyer include…
- Will you sell your online company’s assets or your equity?
- Do you want a lump sum at closing or multiple payments over time?
- Are you willing to sign a non-compete agreement if required by the purchaser?
- How will you keep information confidential during and after the sale process?
- Are you willing to stick around as a consultant to the new owner for a period of time?
Related Article: Are You Ready To Sell An Internet Business?
A experienced Internet lawyer can paper the deal for you while your accountant can work with your attorney to ensure that you get favorable tax treatment in the process.
So, what if you don’t want to sell now?
Keep plugging away.
Related Article: Buy Out Your Competition To Grow Your Internet Company
However, recognize that because of economic storm clouds on the horizon, you may have to work a lot longer just to take home the same amount of money you’d get today by selling your Internet venture and paying less taxes.